Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Symbols



I have converted the peace symbol into a symbol for war-- by giving it eyes. It becomes a picture of a sad face, and simultaneously a picture of two angry half-faces staring each other down. Does that mean we are at peace only if we do not see each other? Think how we avert our eyes to avoid conflict. It's a more powerful image than the peace symbol, in my opinion. I haven't been able to look at the peace symbol the same way since I came up with this. Posted by Hello

1 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that actually is very powerful. I don't know what to make of it since I've always thought war and conflict arise primarily because we do NOT listen to each other ever. This fact was driven home to me when I attended a seminar with the Dalai Lama. Being a political minority in the group, I was struck by how the rest of the audience did not hear what I heard him saying (or vice versa). We were all hearing the same man speak entirely different words to us all. We heard exactly what we WANTED to hear.

So, is the answer to never engage in discussion, or try to truly engage in discussion - listening to what the other REALLY is saying, not what we THINK s/he is saying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Click Here